Monday, May 9, 2011

Labor - how it all begins

When I started this blog, I said one reason was to teach people about pregnancy.  Strangely enough, very soon after I gave birth, I thought about this blog and knew I wanted to write a post teaching people about labor and delivery. The entire time I was pregnant, labor loomed over me like a bee that would not state its sting (shout out to Emily Dickinson there - anyone catch it?).  And why was I so scared?  Because I had no idea what to expect (except pain...lots of pain).  And as humans, we fear the unknown.  So maybe I can take away some of that fear for those of you out there who have yet to experience this miracle by telling you a little more about what to expect.  Of course, just like pregnancy, every woman's experience is unique, but maybe it will help to hear one person's perspective.

One of my first questions was - how will I know I'm in labor?  By the 9th month of pregnancy, I felt contractions frequently, so I didn't understand how I'd know when it was The Contractions.  Moms told me, "You'll know."  And they were right.  You do know.  And here's why - at that point, you have become so in tune with your body.  Every ache and movement has captured your attention for months so when a new one arrives, you know immediately.  I did.  It was 1:30 a.m. and I woke up to go to the bathroom.  Soon after, I told Jesse I thought I felt a contraction.  About 10 minutes later, I felt another.  And so it began.

So what next?  You're not supposed to go to the hospital until your contractions are 5 minutes apart and mine were not regularly spaced out at all.  So what do you do?  Jesse and I went into go mode.  We literally hopped out of bed and starting working.  He emptied the litter box.  I emailed lesson plans.  He ran the dishwasher.  I called my mom.  The entire time, he was timing my contractions and we looked at each other in excitement and fear. 

Sidenote - Around 3 am, we decided to go for a walk.  On Spalding Ave.  Yes, we're insane.  But I'd been told that walking will push labor along...so, we started down the street.  And ended up walking to my parents' house.  They were wide awake, anxiously awaiting the arrival of their next grandchild.

So what do contractions feel like?  In the beginning, they aren't totally painful, it's just like bad cramps.  Of course, they intensify but it is manageable at first.

Around 7 am, we finally went to the hospital.  10 hours later, 16 hours after labor began, Emerson was born.  I'll leave out the rest of the details.  But I will say it wasn't near as bad as I expected it to be.  And as all Mamas say - once they put the baby on your chest, you forget the rest of it anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Such a good post...and timely for me. I've got 17 days until my due date and have been wondering, "Will I know?" Lots of practice contractions and pains so far, but still no The Contractions :)

    ReplyDelete