Research or statistics or the all-knowing "they" claim that you should read to your babies starting when they are newborns. Of course, I want Emerson to be an avid reader so I tried it from day one (even though she seemed entirely oblivious). However, as I read to her from my baby book collection, I noticed two things: there were very few that focused on Daddy and baby and - more importantly - there were very few that were actually well-written. It bugged me. As an English teacher and wannabe writer, it really bugged me. Especially Goodnight Moon. I know, I know, it's like every child's favorite, but I'm sorry, I don't get it. The the creepy old lady in the corner saying hush? Saying good night to a bowl full of mush? Really? How did this book get so popular?
After fussing about the books, I realized, I had a solution - write one myself! And it just so happened that Father's Day was around the corner. So... I wrote a book. A book specially made for Jesse to read to Emerson. I used Shutterfly to put corresponding pictures to each page and voila! my first children's book was born (yes, first... the bug has now bitten). And now, I thought I'd share my "book" with you, blog readers.
Here are the words to the first book I've ever written. Enjoy!
A little boy named Jesse
Who had lots of toys,
Loved to ride a tractor,
Like lots of little boys
He'd climb upon the high seat
And snuggle close to his dad.
Enjoying the sun and the ride,
He loved the fun that he had.
And he thought he'd never love anything more.
When Jesse grew a little bit,
He went away to school.
There he found a camera,
Which he thought was really cool.
He learned how to take beautiful pictures
From working hard in his classes.
He grew into a talented artist
And he knew he'd found his passion.
And he thought he'd never love anything more.
Although Jesse loved his family,
He dreamed of moving away.
He wanted to live in Florida
Where the sun shined every day.
So Jesse took his camera
And moved south near the beach
The sun, the water, the friends,
He fell in love with each.
And he thought he'd never love anything more.
But after awhile, Jesse started
To miss a girl back home.
He followed his heart, moved back,
And made that girl his own.
He gave her a diamond ring
And took her for his wife.
They bought a new home
And started a beautiful life.
And he thought he'd never love anything more.
Two years later, Jesse and his wife
Had a little baby girl.
On a Good Friday in April,
She came into the world.
It took only one glance, one second
For Jesse to fall in love.
He held her in his arms
And thanked God above.
He looked into her blue eyes,
Played with her fingers, toes, and ears.
He slept with her curled on his chest
And helped soothe away her tears.
And, though he thought he'd loved
All those things before,
When he looked at his daughter Emerson,
He KNEW he'd never love anything more.
That is very sweet! I bet Jesse and Emerson love it!
ReplyDelete