Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Mama Knows Best

When Emerson was first born, everyone, with the best of intentions, shared their wisdom and guidance.  Don't hold her too long, they said.  Don't let her fall asleep nursing, they said.  Don't rock her to sleep, they said.  Let her cry it out, they said.  Whatever you do, don't hold her while she sleeps or put her in your bed, they said.

Well... Jesse and I ignored every single scrap of that advice.  And that is why we have an eight month old who sleeps in our bed, wakes up every 2-3 hours to nurse, and sometimes goes for 2 hour stretches in the middle of the night where she won't sleep.

So over this Christmas break, I decided to fix this problem.  I would take the necessary steps to help my child - and Jesse and me -- sleep better.

I wanted to avoid the "cry it out" method.  It seemed cruel (and some experts claim it is damaging to their sense of trust).  So I got advice from Facebook, books, magazines and peers. Everyone had a different story.  Some people swear by the cry it out method, saying that in 3 days, your baby will sleep through the night.  Some people say to walk in, touch your baby and soothe her, to calm her fears but then walk away.  Some people say to hold her until she stops crying but put her down the second she stops.

Here's what I say:  do what you, as your baby's Mama, knows best.  I did.  And after 24 hours, I think it's working.

I knew that if Emerson saw me or Jesse when we were trying to get her to sleep on her own, it would backfire and anger her.  I also knew that she fought sleep even if we were cuddling her and rocking her so it wasn't a matter of feeling unloved or deserted.  So it was time - I had to let her cry.

And I did.  I am, currently actually.  And last night, she slept in her crib all night and never once woke up to nurse.  When I walk in to get her, she wakes up peacefully and smiles at me.  My baby knows I love her and she knows I'm here.  She also is finally getting appropriate sleep.

I've accomplished many things in my life but THAT has to be the best feeling of accomplishment I've ever had.

Now let's see how tonight goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment