Thursday, June 7, 2012

Mama and Baby Cry It Out

I just realized that I wrote one post about making Emerson "cry it out" but it was only about 24 hours into it.  Oh boy...  here's a fun story for your blog readers out there.

As I stated in my previous post, I really wanted to avoid the "cry it out" method.  I read so much about babies developing trust issues and thinking their parents won't be there to meet their needs, not to mention I hated the idea of letting my child cry, that I put off the decision and went without good sleep for a very long time.  Finally, as I said earlier, I gave in.  We put Emerson in her crib, walked out, and listened to her cry.

But man oh man, is my baby girl stubborn.  Emerson would cry for about an hour.  Then, of course, she'd wear herself out.  But she refused to lie down.  Refused.  She fell asleep sitting up.  Her head would fall forward, she'd wake up, shake it off, and repeat.  She'd bob around like this for hours.  Literally.  One night it lasted 3 hours.

Proponents of the "cry it out" method told me to give it 3 days.  Day one, babies cry about an hour.  Day two, they cry about 30 minutes.  By day three, they're sleeping through the night without crying.

To all of you, I stick out my tongue and say NOT HARDLY!

Emerson's crying and bobbing lasted for eight days.  Yes, eight.  She was so exhausted from the bobbing and the crying that she barely got any sleep.  I spent several of those nights at my mom's house in tears - I couldn't stand to be home listening to her cry.  I said hello to one of my coworkers one day during planning and was suddenly crying to her.  It was a rough eight days.

Then, suddenly, a miracle happened.  Emerson slept.  Emerson didn't sit up.  Emerson didn't bob or cry or fight it.  She just stayed asleep when I put her down.... until twelve hours later at 7 am.

And she has every night since with very few exceptions.

Crying it out is controversial.  It isn't for everyone.  But I can say with utmost confidence it was one of the best decisions I have made as a mother.  When I look back at pictures of Emerson's life, I can see the bags under her eyes, especially between 6-8 mths when she was waking every 2-3 hours.  After she started sleeping all night in her own crib, she looks healthier and happier.  And so do Mom and Dad.

1 comment:

  1. Three days or 8 days...whatever it takes to help your baby learn to sleep. We endured that as well, and I look back now and think it was definitely one of the smartest things we ever did...for both our baby and ourselves...and it is evident that she still loves you and trusts you! :) EVERYONE is happier when you have a well-rested, happy baby.

    ReplyDelete