Before I even got pregnant, I knew that I wanted to nurse my children but it was not an easy decision. I wasn't completely "sold" - and, from what I'd heard, I needed to be sold in order to stick with it. So I attended a nursing class and researched all the benefits, and by the time Emerson was born, I was sold. After actually seeing her little face, that dedication deepened even further - I wanted whatever was absolutely best for her.
But man oh man, was nursing a challenge at first! For something that is so natural, it can be extremely difficult. I stated from the beginning that I wanted to use this blog to teach others about pregnancy, and this, I feel, is an important lesson. Nursing is rewarding, incredible, important, beneficial - but it is probably the most challenging thing I faced in awhile (and dealing with it while struggling with post-pregnancy hormones doesn't help!).
While your baby is born knowing that you can feed her, she is not born with the innate ability to actually get the milk. She has to learn how, and Mama does too. And that process can be painful. It was for me. In addition, your life is suddenly scheduled in 2 hour increments. Emerson ate every three hours and it took me an hour to nurse her so I was sleeping for two hours at a time and, during the day, rushing to fit in as much as possible in two hour spans. I could no longer be spontaneous. My family went out to eat for my dad's birthday but I couldn't go because it was during Emerson's time to eat.
In the end, nursing was physically and emotionally difficult and draining. Everyone told me it would get better. We'd figure it out. Don't give up.
And you know what? They were right. Seven weeks later, Emerson and I have figured it out. She eats much quicker. She's starting to eat wait 4 hours between sessions instead of 3. As I stated in a previous post, I've learned how to nurse in public. And best of all, there is absolutely no pain. Instead, I'm enjoying the rewarding part - the knowledge that I am providing absolutely everything Emerson needs. And only I can.
That's another rewarding part of nursing. When she is hungry, only I can feed her. When she got her immunization shots, only I could soothe her. I have no doubt it is one of the main reasons Emerson can already find me in a crowd and can recognize my voice.
And there may be another, slightly selfish, reason to continue nursing - the weight loss! I am already almost at my pre-pregnancy weight. Someone recently told me they couldn't tell I'd ever had a baby. This is a great feeling, especially after feeling so fat and bloated for months!
I would encourage anyone to try nursing. It is by far the most incredible thing you can do for your baby. But be prepared for tears and struggles. Call people to help you through it. And most importantly, don't give up.
I'm so glad that you didn't give up!!!! Welcome to the bonding, rewarding part. :)
ReplyDelete