Monday, April 18, 2011

Pregnancy Body Woes: A Poem

At nine months pregnant, I've started to see
The things taken for granted previously....

Like when I drop things on the floor,
I have to decide what's worth more:

That dollar, pen, or ketchup packet
Or avoiding the humiliation of trying to grab it.

Getting off of the couch when snuggled deep in the cushions
Takes a "heave" and a "ho"and lots of pushing

I have to rely on my students to tell me
When I've dropped food on my lower belly

Painting my toes pretty colors just isn't happenin'
Though wearing socks hurts my ankles as they are fattenin'

I lose my breath when I read aloud to my class
And carrying in groceries is an impossible task.

Turning from left to right feels like a chore,
I can't get out of a car without holding the door.

If I stand up, I think that I need to pee
(or when I laugh, or sleep, or all the time really)

Every morning I wake up in a sweat and in pain
From my body trying to hold up the extra weight gain.

Although they seem minor, these issues I've got
Make me excited for when, pregnant, I'm not!

1 comment: