Saturday, April 2, 2011

One Month

My due date is May 2nd.  When I heard that date in August, it sounded so far away. 
This is especially true because I am a teacher.  When I think of "years," I think of August-May -  I automatically associate August with the beginning of a school year and May with the end.  So, when I found out we were pregnant in August, and my due date was in May, I realized it was the length of an entire school year.  And trust me, that can feel like a reallly long time.

But here we are.  It's April 2nd.  Just one more month.  Four weeks.  On March 1st, my cousin Carol said "You could have a baby next month!" ... suddenly, I can say, "I could have a baby THIS month!" Wow...

I can't help but wonder - where did the last eight months go?  If I'd blinked, I would've missed it (maybe that explains it - I did spend quite a bit of the last eight months sleeping...).  My mom would ask why, in the past eight months, I didn't find time to get the nursery ready.  She is worried that here I am, one month away, and I haven't packed my hospital bag, washed my baby clothes/blankets, or even put a mattress in my crib.  This is unlike me, a natural planner, but for some reason, I'm not worried.  It'll get done.  Things always do.

Unlike the last eight months, I have a feeling this month is going to c  r  a  w  l  by.  As pregnancy gets more uncomfortable and the due date gets closer (and let's face it - my summer break gets closer), the days get longer.  However, one thing that will help it go by too quickly is the fact that my students' AP exam is also the week of my due date.  I have a week-day countdown on my chalkboard for the exam and it's already down to 22.  That means I only have 22 days to prepare them for the exam.  When I think of it that way, I know that the time will fly and I won't feel prepared yet.  I won't feel ready. - I won't feel like they're ready.

So why don't I feel pressured to get myself ready?  I guess because, for my students, the AP exam is the end.  That's it.  There's no more they can do.  But for me, for the date I'm counting down to, it's just the beginning.  I can worry and plan then. 

1 comment: