Sunday, March 20, 2011

Childbirth Class

Yesterday, Jesse and I watched hours and hours of videos featuring different women giving birth.

And that could be the end of this post.  Enough said, I think!  :)

Really, it wasn't so bad.  While there were times I'm sure I was shrinking into my chair or clenching my fists (and wondering desperately why they decided to follow the entire birth of the one woman who decided not to have an epidural), it wasn't near as graphic or terrifying as I expected.  The scariest part of it all was the clip about all the things that could go wrong with the delivery - and when the nurse showed us the forceps the doctors may have to use to pull the baby out.  Jesse and I have already had conversations with Emerson about the smooth, flawless delivery we are expecting him/her to make.  One misunderstanding I've always had was that the most painful part of labor is when you are actually pushing out the baby.  Turns out, (while none of it is exactly pleasant) it's really the contractions beforehand (at least, if you are on medication at the end). 

The nurse repeatedly told us that if I just stay relaxed, my muscles will be relaxed and it won't be as painful.  The video even said to picture an ocean or a soft breeze.  Riiight.  I'm sure that's exactly what I'll be doing - lying in that bed practicing my yoga moves, taking deep calm breaths, and imagining myself at the ocean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment