Monday, March 7, 2011

Compliment? Or insult?

Two observations I've made about people recently:  they cannot control their reactions to a pregnant belly and, once they're caught reacting, they aren't sure the polite way to say it.  I've had these reactions from people that I haven't seen since getting pregnant to people I see every single day. Here are some examples of what people have said to me:

"You look really pregnant in that shirt!"
"It's...um...definitely out there now!"
"Your baby must be growing like a weed!"
"Wow...when are you due?"
"You're bigger than my daughter who is due in late April!"
"I don't know if it's the horizontal stripes or what, but you look big today."
"That shirt shows off your baby bump."
"Man, I'd ask if you're pregnant, but they say not to ask women that..."

However, the best reaction I've had so far happened last week.  I was pumping gas when a former student pulled up behind me and yelled my name.  I turned to face him and he literally yells, "WOH!".  Classic.

In case you're wondering, I'm not sure if there is a polite way to handle your initial reaction.  Honestly, your face expression usually gives you away before you say anything anyway.  To recover, almost everyone follows it with, "Well, you look great" and that is good enough.  "You're all belly" doesn't hurt either. 

On the other hand, Jesse noticed a different reaction yesterday.  After Communion at church, Jesse told me that people get "doe-eyed" when they see me.  He said they look at my face, look at my belly, and just grin all over themselves.  I have had so many absolute strangers approach me and ask about my due date, how I'm feeling, what I'm having, etc.  Some women just love a pregnant person!  While the stranger-rubbing-the-belly can get a little awkward, I must admit, it's better than some of the reactions I mentioned above!

No comments:

Post a Comment