Monday, March 28, 2011

Frogtown



Pictured here are some of the items I chose for Emerson's nursery (all from Babies R Us).  As you can see, there is a common element: an adorable, smiling frog.  After choosing the bedding, I went a little frog-crazy, adding blankets and clothes and lamps and, as you can see, changing pad covers that we covered in frogs.  On Saturday, I had a baby shower and - not coincidentally, I believe - my two Leathers aunts showered me with even more frogs.  So I thought, maybe I would explain where this slightly obsessive interest in frogs comes from.  You see, it wasn't a haphazard decision.
My grandmother, Mama Jo, collected frogs.  According to my mom, she didn't choose to collect frogs - her kids just started giving them to her and almost forced her to collect them (a favor she returned to my father with nutcrackers).  When Mama Jo passed away, I inherited several frog magnets and a stuffed frog.  I cherish these.
Unfortunately, my grandmother - as well as all of my grandparents - passed away way before they could meet our little Emerson.  But Mama Jo lives on in me.  Everyone comments on how much I act like her - a comment I find incredibly flattering.  So it is no surprise that I am drawn to frogs and I want to pass that to Emerson.  Actually, if Emerson is a boy, his name will be Joseph Emerson.  One of the reasons for the first name is my grandmother, Josephine (as well as Jesse's father, my sister and my uncle!).  We've even considered Emerson Jo for a girl. 
Emerson may not get to meet his/her great-grandparents, but I will make sure he/she knows all about them.  Decorating the nursery in frogs is just the first step.

2 comments:

  1. i absolutely LOVE that my middle name is jo, it's unique anddd it's after my dad. so emerson jo would be adorable and meaningful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first saw the title, my initial thought was that Jesse grew up on Frogtown Road or something...I was thinking about St. Mary's I guess! Lol!!

    ReplyDelete