In honor of Valentine's Day, I thought I'd write an entry about my husband, the excited daddy-to-be. I can say right now, without a doubt, I would not be enjoying my pregnancy near as much without the love and support of Jesse. If he is half the dad to Emerson as he is husband to me, we will have one lucky baby.
Jesse has been super protective of me during my pregnancy, and although I may have gotten frustrated a few times (sorry honey!) I totally understand why. He has absolutely no control over the health of his baby. None. Sometimes that translates into him being a strict dietician - No, you can't have coffee! Haven't you had enough sweet tea? Will you try to eat some vegetables today? - and sometimes it translates into sweet gestures - dropping me off at the door, carrying any package that weighs over 5 lbs, giving me his arm anytime a slip of ice appears. I'd say it's a pretty fair trade off.
The funny thing is, he never complains. If I want Captain D's once a week, he goes. If I text him before he leaves a game at 9:30 pm and ask him to pick up grape juice somewhere (my one real craving so far), he goes. If I want to spend an entire snow day resting, even though there is laundry to be done, he encourages me to. Every woman deserves a man like him to be at her side during pregnancy.
Jesse has already been a sweet father to our baby also. Some of my absolute favorite memories from my pregnancy have been the Saturday mornings or weekday evenings when we put away our cell phones, turn off the television, and Jesse sits and talks to Emerson. He puts his hand on my stomach and waits to feel Emerson's every move, while talking to him/her about his day. I think Emerson has started playing hide-and-seek with his/her daddy - lately Emerson won't move for 20 minutes and as soon as Jesse moves his hand, the baby will elbow me as if to say "haha, got him Mom!".
Obviously, when I married Jesse, I knew he would be an incredible husband and father. I wouldn't have married him otherwise. But he has already exceeded even my expectations. I feel like a lucky woman every day and I know that Emerson will be an incredibly lucky child.
For the young women reading this blog, instead of misconception, I give you advice: wait. wait for a man like Jesse. I promise, they are worth the wait.
You two are truly inspirational. I wish you both the best of luck, I'm sure you will both make Wonderful parents.
ReplyDeleteNever settle. That's what I learned from Cindy Lou. I remember you telling me that on your wedding day. Never settle. -Julia
ReplyDelete