Today, I got to experience one of the negative aspects of pregnancy...the needles! I found out that I have a negative blood type which is evidently very rare. Odds are that my baby will have a positive blood type. Therefore, I had to have a shot at 28 weeks to ensure my blood and my baby's blood can safely mix (to put it concisely...).
Now let me say up front that, pre-pregnancy, I had a fear of needles. A terrible, paralyzing fear. However, in the past 7 months, I've had a flu shot, I've had my blood drawn three times, and I've had an injection in my hip. Prior to each of these, I'd make myself sick with worry... today, as I sat waiting in the hospital, I kept repeating to myself, "This is the best for my baby." It actually helped. I relaxed. I stayed strong. And admittedly, the shot didn't hurt that much. None of them really have.
Repeating that mantra to myself made the idea that I'm about to be a mom much more of a reality. I actually felt like I was acting like a mom - making a sacrifice for the health of my child. As my mom told me today, it is only the first of many sacrifices I will make - and I can't wait. I just hope all the sacrifices don't involve needles...
between your blog and my practicum at central baptist i'm going to know so much about pregnancy! haha... let's just hope i can remember all these things in 10 years :)
ReplyDeletePregnancy is the easy part!!! The fun part comes about 3 years from now! Mark my words...the person who coined the phrase "terrible two's" just didn't have a 3 year old yet! Your have sacrificed so much already...and you don't even know it. It continues for the rest of your life but you love them so much, you won't even notice!
ReplyDelete