Monday, February 28, 2011

Misconception: My pregnancy has been a breeze

Okay, up until this point, I've made pregnancy seem like a breeze.  With the exception of shots and baby rolls, I have come across like I wouldn't even know I was pregnant if not for the baby bump.  While it is true that I have found pregnancy very enjoyable, since I said one reason I wanted to start a blog was to share a different side of pregnancy, I thought I should reveal the not-so-fun side (and to keep other pregnant women from hunting me down and hurting me!).  So here are the "side effects" of pregnancy that I have experienced:

Bleeding Gums - My gums bleed if I look at them wrong, which is evidently every morning ... and every time I eat an apple. 
Nightmares - Pre-pregnancy, I rarely remembered my dreams.  Now it seems like I have vivid nightmares the entire time I sleep and I wake up reliving them.  I will intentionally stay awake for awhile out of fear that the nightmare will continue.  I am usually very stressed about something the whole time.
Hot flashes - Every Sunday, about two minutes after walking into church, I look at Jesse and ask, "Is it bad that I'm already hot?"  I fanned myself so much one Sunday, the priest got up and changed the thermostat in the middle of Mass.  Just the sight of a group of people makes me start to sweat (and probably my gums to bleed. heehee).
Exhaustion - During the first trimester, I started falling asleep around 8:30 pm.  If I worked on a Sat, which I frequently do in the fall, I was wiped out the entire day on Sunday.  This trimester, I'm starting to repeat that cycle.  Nothing appeals to me more than lying on the couch sleeping (and from what I understand, I should cherish my sleep now!).
Nausea - While I haven't had morning sickness, I have had some nausea.  I spend those mornings/evenings running to the bathroom in anticipation of what I think is going to come.  It never does.  Sometimes I just wish it would so I could move on and get over it.
Old lady muscles - I swear, my body has aged 50 years since I got pregnant.  The other day, I slid when getting out of the shower and stretched a muscle.  I limped for weeks after that!  The muscle was so sore!  When I wake up in the mornings, the entire side of my body on which I was lying hurts.  I stumble out of bed and waddle around for awhile until it loosens up.  It's pretty pathetic.
Clumsiness/Forgetfulness - Okay, I have to be honest here.  Clumsiness has defined me my entire life.  But pregnancy has made it worse (hello, read the part above... I slipped getting out of the shower and we have a shower stall.  I don't even have to step over a tub...).  The forgetfulness is even worse.  I have left my phone and my purse in more places the past month that I have left anything in my lifetime. 

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but hey, if I can't remember, it must not be too big of an issue for me.  And while these "side effects" are minimal, they can be enough to make me physically uncomfortable and ready for pregnancy to end.  And the worst is yet to come...

(sidenote: my cousin, Carol, pointed out that tomorrow - March 1st - I can say "I might have a baby next month!"  wow, it's flying by!)

No comments:

Post a Comment