Jesse and I decided from the beginning of our pregnancy that we did not want to know the sex of the baby. I've always thought the surprise would be so much fun ... I've always imagined that moment when the doctor holds up a baby for the first time and says "It's a boy!"... or when the new father walks out into the lobby filled with anxious family members and announces, "It's a girl!". So for us, the decision was easy.
Except for one day in the last 7 months: the day we had our ultrasound and could actually find out. As the ultrasound tech showed us the head, the spine, the heartbeat, she was so careful not to show us anything we didn't want to see (as if we'd know what we were looking at!). I asked her if she knew and she said yes. It hit me then - this woman, this stranger, knows if I'm going to have a son or daughter. I wanna know too! But I didn't say a word. Then, on the way home, Jesse admitted that he was tempted to find out at first and that was the chip in the armor that I needed. I started begging him to turn around and go back. We were taking our ultrasound pictures to our parents, and I told him - we could be going to tell them we're having a boy or girl! When he said no, I tried again. It was mid-December, so I thought - we would wrap it in a present and tell our families that way! He still said no.
Thank you, Jesse, for saying no. You knew I didn't really want to know. You didn't either.
Because we don't know the sex of the baby, everyone wants to guess. Most people guess a girl, because I am evidently "carrying high." The pencil test said it's a boy. The Chinese calendar said it's a girl. Both of my doctors guessed boy. My sister guesses girl, based somewhat on her heartrate. I had one person tell me I was carrying a girl because I was "showing from behind." Another told me I was carrying a girl because I was NOT "showing from behind."
I basically learned this....no one really knows and everyone has a 50/50 chance of being right!
So, until our baby joins us, we'll paint our nursery yellow, we'll pick our gender neutral name, and we'll play the he/she pronoun game. (which leads to another misconception - you can to plan for your baby without knowing the sex! there's plenty of yellow/green/orange/etc out there!)
And as everyone says, we'll be happy either way - we just want a healthy baby!!
i'm going to be sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for someone to update a facebook status! (note: have someone that i'm friends w/ on facebook be in charge of this very important task)
ReplyDeleteIt will be a very big 3-word status update! :)
ReplyDelete