Honestly, I'm a little late to be starting a blog about pregnancy, considering this is the first week of my third trimester. However, several people have asked me to write about my experiences, and there are so many things I don't want to forget about this experience. Most importantly, the main reason I wanted to blog about my pregnancy is because, so far, being pregnant has been nothing like what I expected. And I think, if I had misconceptions and unnecessary fears about pregnancy, someone reading this might too. In that case, I hope this helps. So, in each of my entries, I will share my feelings about being pregnant but also I hope to clarify some misconceptions.
So let me start with misconception #1: all pregnant women have morning sickness.
As I said, I'm now in the third trimester and I - brace yourself - have not gotten sick once. I've barely been nauseous. Now I realize that there are women out there who get sick every day of their pregnancy, but in my experience, either those women speak the loudest or the unmarried, kid-free women listen to them the hardest, because before I got pregnant, I was terrified of morning sickness. I thought that was a guarantee, at least in the first trimester, for all women. For the first month or more of my pregnancy, I braced myself every time I had a stomachache or coughed or sneezed... or opened my mouth for any reason. After awhile, I realized... my first trimester was about over and I hadn't gotten sick. I felt great! And now, when I share that information with other mothers, I realize that there are lots of women who have survived pregnancy without any morning sickness. I think they're just hesitant to say so in public, just in case they're around women whose experience was the opposite. But for those of you who have not experienced pregnancy yet, now you know. Pregnancy does not automatically equal vomiting. It's actually quite enjoyable.
But that's for another entry. This one is long enough for now. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment