Monday, February 21, 2011

"Pregnancy is such a Spiritual Time"

Someone said that to me yesterday... she said, "I don't know about you, but I always thought pregnancy was such a spiritual time."  I couldn't agree more.

Hopefully this post will not offend anyone, but being pregnant has deepened my own faith so much so that I cannot grasp how any woman who has experienced pregnancy could not believe in God.   It is incredible what our bodies do. 

In the first trimester, I read week-by-week pregnancy books that updated me on my baby's progress.  One week, my baby's brain was developing.  Another week, his/her eyes were opening.  Then his/her ears.  All of this was happening inside of my stomach, which at the time was barely larger than normal. 

In my nursing class, I learned even more information that made me realize how incredible our bodies are.  For example, studies have shown that after giving birth, a woman's body temperature will change based on her baby's needs.  If the baby is lying skin-on-skin with his mother, and his body temperature is too high, the mother's body temperature will lower a few degrees to help cool the baby.  It also works to help warm the baby.  A woman's breast milk changes according to her baby's needs.  If I go into early labor, my breast milk will have the nutrients a preemie baby would need; on the other hand, if I go full term, my breast milk will have adapted and changed.

Then there are the "little" things.  Watching my stomach move.  Seeing a foot push against my skin (which I haven't seen  yet!).  Actually delivering a human life.

Yes, pregnancy is definitely a spiritual time.

No comments:

Post a Comment