Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Misconception #2: You're eating for two!

Okay, let's be honest.  When a woman is pregnant, she isn't really eating for two.  I mean, at this point in my pregnancy, my baby only weighs 2 lbs.  I don't think Emerson needs me to eat 3 desserts and an extra plate of Mexican food to keep him/her sustained.  Although I do not think pregnant women should refrain themselves from cravings or even a special treat if they want it, I do think it's important to remember - we really aren't eating for two.

Luckily for me, I heard two comments early in my pregnancy that set the tone for me.  One person said, "Remember, any weight you gain while pregnant, you have to lose on your own."  Well, it had only been 1.5 years since I'd worked my tail off (literally!) to lose weight for my wedding and I did NOT want to have to go through that again!

Then my doctor told me, "There's a big difference between delivering an 8 lb baby and a 6 lb baby."  SAY NO MORE!  Those cookies can wait!!

Now don't get me wrong, I am hungrier now than I used to be.  And I have allowed myself to enjoy the occasional milkshake or cupcake without guilt... but overall, I don't think I've eaten a whole lot more than I did before I was pregnant.  And so far, baby Emerson is growing just fine.

So again, for those of you who haven't had a baby yet, remember... don't starve yourself and definitely treat yourself - but don't feel like you should be eating for two! 

No comments:

Post a Comment