Thursday, February 10, 2011

Misconception #3: Doctors Tell You You're Pregnant

Nope.  A stick does. 

Based on movies/tv shows, women go to a doctor's office and they walk in to break the news to the dramatically upset or ecstatic couple. 

This is how I found out I was pregnant... it's actually quite humorous.

I had a gut feeling.  As I mentioned, I hadn't been sick at all so there were no physical signs... I just somehow knew.  The gut feeling was so strong that I drove home during my planning to take a pregnancy test.  I knew Jesse wouldn't be home and I literally could not wait the 4 hours until school let out.  So I drove home.  Took a pregnancy test.  And it was positive.

Snap.  Our lives were changed!

I hid the pregnancy test in the glove compartment of my car (oops, it's still there...) and drove back to school.  Somehow, I managed to focus on AP English during my last class of the day and then I drove straight home.  Mentally, I was preparing how I was going to surprise Jesse, when suddenly he came in the house.  And so here is how my big surprise announcement went:

Jesse walks up, hugs me, and asks: "How's my baby?"
I start giggling. 
Jesse asks why I'm giggling.
My response:  "You said baby.  I'm pregnant."

Yeah... not the surprise I had imagined, but I was never good at lying or keeping secrets!! 

(sidenote: Literally one of his very first comments after that:  "You can't change the litter box anymore!").

So back to the misconception... I thought I had to immediately go to the doctor to be "sure" I was pregnant.  Nope.  My first doctor's appointment wasn't until I was 8 weeks pregnant.  For 8 weeks, I felt like a sham.  Who was I to determine I was pregnant?  Based on what - a stick covered in pee??

But I was.  I am.  The stick and I were right.  And the doctor confirmed it just a few weeks later with an ultrasound of a teeny tiny kidney bean in my belly.  That was definitely more exciting than the stick. =)

And we were dramatically ecstatic.

3 comments:

  1. um... you still have that 'stick covered in pee' in your glove compartment? nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I knew you'd be the one to comment on that! Don't worry - it's dry now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's even more gross--I was cleaning out one of my "momento" drawers the other day and found Blake's stick...lol. I tossed it...couldn't even see the line anymore...haha.

    ReplyDelete